Friday, April 22, 2011

April 19th: Cool Moon Ice Cream, NW 11th & Johnson


Marisa:
Before heading to this spot I looked at the menu online (gotta do your research people). I got excited because there are multiple combinations of cherry and chocolate ice cream. So I knew going in I was going to choose: Bing Cherry Almond Chip, Chocolate Cherry and Cherry Vanilla (no chocolate but I kept it in the running) +1 for that.

Cool Moon is in a great location after getting your cone you can just walk across the street to Jamison Square, which we did, to enjoy whichever flavor you chose. The decor is plain, a few colored, plastic chairs scattered around wood tables. The menu is written on the back wall on a giant chalkboard, I’m guessing to update what flavors are available that day, only one of my choices was available so that was disappointing.

After scoping all the choices (I had to find out what I was going to miss out on), and waiting behind an old man that had to try almost every single freaking flavor I was able to order my regular Cherry Almond Chip in a chocolate dipped waffle cone. There were plenty of chocolate flakes swirled into the ice cream which I love and the almonds added a nice crunch. Although there were large slices of Bing cherries, the cherry flavor wasn’t as strong as I would like. And the cone itself wasn’t very flavorful. -1 for that.

I think overall Cool Moon is a great little shop, and even though I love the fact that’s local next time I think I’ll walk the 5 blocks to Ben and Jerry’s for my old faithful Cherry Garcia.

Tyson:
Apparently I was angry in my last post. I will try and make this one more happy. On the way to Cool Moon the girl in her Honda behind me mistook her gas pedal for her brake pedal (Not a good start to this). Luckily, there wasn’t any damage (besides a little to my neck). Now from what I have heard from people and from the reviews I have read, Cool Moon was getting blown up more than Barry Bond’s steroid infused head/ego. I expected not only the best Ice Cream I have ever had in my life, but to need a change in undergarments after the first bite. Anything less would be a failure obviously! Well, fail away Cool Moon because you are the locomotion on the over-hype train.

As Marisa said, the location is one of the bests in the city. Jamison Park is one of my favorite in Portland. But, I think this great location brings on the hype for this establishment. I mean with REI down the street, some of the best over-priced living in the city and it being an unspoken requirement for walking around to have a little furry vagina-dog on a leash, their ice cream parlor HAS to be the BEST in the city, right?! Marisa also described the dull interior well. The writing on the chalk board is a good idea for rotating flavors, but with poor execution. I could barely read what was written. From what I could tell deciphering the chicken scratch [shit] writing on the board it was more to get the same amount of ice cream in a waffle cone as in a bowl. Cones are synopsis with Ice Cream and the customer should never be penalized for wanting one! Worst infraction of the day was the .40 cent charge for using my debit card! Doucheiness! -3

On to the flavors…. for the most part they were typical and boring. There was some originality here, but with the hype I wanted more of something unique, and regular chocolate is not anymore special, just because you put the word “Belgium” in front of it. Looking on their menu they do have some interesting sounding flavors, yet most of them were absent today. I got a bowl with a scoop of Belgium Chocolate and a scoop of one of their most original flavors “Funky Chocolate Goldmine” which sounds promising! When paying I saw a rich looking Chocolate Sorbet tucked in the corner and immediately wish I saw it earlier instead of the Belgium (maybe if I could read the hieroglyphics on the chalk board). The Belgium Chocolate was not any more “sweet” like the sign promised and tasted like your typical chocolate you could get at the store for a $1.99. The Funky Chocolate Goldmine was though a pleasant surprise. It is described as a “reverse cookies and crème” as it is chocolate ice cream with vanilla cookie chunks. The cookies were nice and chunky and had a strong vanilla taste that was nice with the chocolate. This flavor was almost good enough to win a point back for Cool Moon, but remember what I said earlier? My pants were drier than a crackhead’s ashy lips. Cool Moon isn’t bad; but not wad-blowing good either which is a FAIL! -1

In the end they are a product of their own demise. They are decent, but I would much rather go to B&J or Cold Stone any day. And, it’s really the flimflam propaganda spread about them that drops them lower on my score card.

Final Grade 6 out of 10
And I don’t think I accomplished my goal in this post. Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage.

Lia is currently Sick Face :(

No comments:

Post a Comment